NH1 News Seeks Assignment Manager
Based in the brand new NH1 Media Center in Concord, NH1 is hiring an experienced broadcast news manager with a strong background and experience in managing an Assignment Desk. This person will be part of a leadership team with direct oversight of news-gathering for the multi-platform news organization. This individual will primarily focus on television newscasts but will work in tandem with members of the NH1 radio and digital news- gathering teams.
· As a central figure in daily news gathering and in the planning for future coverage, the Assignment Manager has significant input into the overall editorial process.
· The Assignment Manager supervises and directs the nerve center of the television newsroom for the evening newscasts.
· He or she will dispatch crews, monitor scanners, make phone calls, and set up stories.
· The Assignment Manager is responsible for researching and setting up story ideas submitted by members of the news team.
· The Assignment Manager oversees the dayside assignment of stories to journalists and photographers.
· The Assignment Manager is responsible for logistical decisions such as informing crews of their assignments and making necessary changes in those assignments based on circumstances, such as breaking news.
· The Assignment Manager interacts with fellow news managers including those assigned to radio and digital news coverage.
· This person supervises all journalists and photographers and communicates any and all issues that are related to field crews and assignments.
· At least three years of experience as an Assignment Editor or related television experience.
· Excellent news judgment and problem solving skills.
· Previous management experience preferred.
· Decisive and an effective communicator.
· Flexible and adept when dealing with challenges such as reassigning news crews in order to cover breaking news.
· A proven ability to multi-task under significant deadline pressure.
· Must be able to work flexible hours.
· Ability to mentor and teach less experienced assignment desk personnel.
· Desire to develop news sources and passionate about winning breaking news.
· Must possess the ability to edit video or be willing to be trained to edit for broadcast.
· Knowledge of New Hampshire is a plus.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communications, or related field.
Please send resume and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NH1 and Binnie Media are Equal Opportunity Employers.