A bunch of studies came out recently that blasted multivitamins, and basically said that you shouldn't bother with them. But that wasn't the final word. Smithsonian.com took a look at the research and came up with five supplements that ARE worth taking:
1. Vitamin D. Scientists aren't sure exactly why, but people who take vitamin D live longer. It's also supposed to help prevent the flu and bone breaks. And it can't hurt you, so there's no harm if you take it.
2. Probiotics. Apparently, there are TRILLIONS of GOOD bacterial cells living inside your gut, and if you do a round of antibiotics they can get wiped out. Taking probiotics can restore the balance. And probiotics are also your go-to for any digestive issues.
3. Zinc. You may have heard that vitamin C can prevent colds. That's not true, but scientists figured out that ZINC can. Zinc also lessons cold symptoms and helps you recover faster.
4. Niacin. Basically, over-the-counter niacin is supposed to reduce strokes and heart attacks for people with heart disease.
5. Garlic. It gives you bad breath, but if you've got high blood pressure, studies show that garlic helps lower it. It's also supposed to prevent cancer, but the jury's still out on that one. (Smithsonian.com)