Just How Cold Is It? Siberia and Mars Would Be Warmer . . . Even Polar Bears Are Cold . . . and Antifreeze Could Freeze
The POLAR VORTEX has brought out record low temperatures all across the country . . . and THAT'S brought out all sorts of anecdotes about just how cold it is. Here are six of our favorites . . .
1. It's so cold you could warm up in SIBERIA. Not all of it, but some of it. For example, the lows around the U.S. are lower than Tobolsk, Russia, in Siberia.
2. It's so cold that the surface of MARS would be warmer. Mars is 78 million miles further from the sun than the Earth, but parts of it are warmer right now . . . than say, the negative-42 temperatures in northern Minnesota.
3. It's so cold that Atlanta . . . which hosted the 1996 Summer Olympics . . . is colder than Sochi, Russia, which is about to host the 2014 Winter Olympics.
4. It's so cold that the one polar bear at the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago has been hiding in her 40-degree habitat rather than staying outside. Since she was born in captivity, she doesn't have a thick enough layer of fat to take THIS level of cold.
5. It's so cold that there's a guy in Fargo, North Dakota who's spending the day in a walk-in freezer in his store . . . because it's minus-10, and outside it's minus-40.
6. It's so cold that antifreeze could freeze. At negative-34 degrees, Prestone freezes. Also, your vodka could freeze . . . that freezes at negative-16.51 degrees. (CNN / Smithsonian / National Journal / Time)