A disabled woman in Quaker Hill, Connecticut named Candace Lines almost lost her life recently. And she has her eight-year-old German Shepherd Samantha to thank for avoiding that.
Back in July, Candace was home alone when she started choking on a piece of chicken. Now, it sounds like Candace has been training Samantha to be a service dog, because she's gotten very good at fetching things. And it's a good thing that's the case.
Because while Candace was choking, she pointed at the dog, then pointed at an emergency bracelet across the room that has a button you can press if there's a break-in. And when the dog bit down on it, it triggered that alarm.
Then when the security company called on a wall-mounted speaker system, Candace couldn't breathe, let alone talk. But the dog started BARKING like crazy.
So the company called it in, and firefighters arrived just in time to find Candace unconscious and save her life.
Apparently the dog sat next to Candace the entire time they worked on her. And the emergency workers said that if things had gone differently, Candace definitely wouldn't have made it. (WTNH / People)