6:00pm - 6:00pm
Request A Song
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome to the all new wjyy.com - more fun, interactive, and informative than ever!
JYY Headlines

Can You Actually Be Electrocuted By Your Smartphone?


A 23-year-old Chinese girl died last week from an electric shock, which she supposedly got from answering her iPhone.  Now Apple is investigating.  But can you REALLY get electrocuted by your smartphone?  Here are four things to know.
 
1.  Apple hasn't said whether they've gotten reports of this happening before.  But the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission says most of THEIR complaints are about phones overheating or catching fire, because of bad charging cables.
 
2.  In some cases, a knockoff charger might not have proper insulation, which COULD cause an electric shock . . . as well as overheating or a fire.  But those USB chargers only handle about 5 volts, which isn't really a dangerous voltage level.  
 
3.  Even if you DID get shocked by a phone being charged, it's more likely that there was a problem with the electrical OUTLET . . . or the wiring inside the wall.   In the Chinese incident, the girl's sister says she'd just gotten out of the SHOWER to answer her phone, while it was connected to a wall outlet.  So it could have been a combination of things that didn't involve the phone at all.
 
4.  So far, the experts are saying there's no real danger here.  But your best bet is to avoid third-party chargers completely, and stick to the ones made specifically for your phone by the original manufacturer.  Because there IS a danger of your battery EXPLODING if your phone gets charged improperly.  (Huffington Post)  (CNN)
 



JYY's Top Ten
LinkedUpRadio Envisionwise Web Services