The Ten Things We Do to Avoid Falling Asleep at the Wheel
The safe thing to do if you think you might fall asleep behind the wheel is to pull over and take a NAP. But a recent survey found that only 23% of us ever actually do that. Here are the top ten things we do to avoid falling asleep at the wheel.
1. Drink something with caffeine in it. 53% said it's one thing they do to stay awake.
2. Open a window, 42%.
3. Switch drivers, 42%.
4. Pull over to stretch, 35%.
5. Crank up the radio, 35%.
6. Crank the A/C, 25%.
7. Pull over for a nap, 23%.
8. Eat something, 21%.
9. Sing along to the radio, 21%.
10. Listen to talk radio, 14%.
Talking to yourself just missed the top ten, with 11%. And 10% of people say they just start SLAPPING themselves.